Here are a few African traditional bedtime horror stories for kids:
- The Story of the Ghost of Mami Wata: A tale about a young boy who is haunted by the ghost of a mermaid who is seeking revenge for the destruction of her underwater kingdom.
- The Asanbosam: A story from the Ashanti people about a creature with iron teeth who preys on travelers at night.
- The Tokoloshe: A Zulu story about a mischievous water-dwelling spirit who causes trouble for people.
- The Tale of the Mysterious Talking Skull: A story about a talking skull that helps a young boy find treasure but at a great cost.
- The Legend of the Chitauli: A story from the BaTwa people of southern Africa about a tribe of shape-shifting beings who can steal people’s souls.
They told me to write: Remember, these stories are meant to be scary and are not suitable for all ages. It’s important to always check with a parent or guardian before sharing them with kids.