Mombasa is a coastal city in Kenya known for its rich history, culture, and beautiful beaches. There are many things to see and do in Mombasa, making it a popular destination for tourists and locals alike. Here are a few popular options:
- Visit Old Town: Mombasa’s Old Town is a UNESCO World Heritage site, known for its narrow streets, traditional architecture, and historic sites such as Fort Jesus. Visitors can take a walking tour of the Old Town and learn about the history and culture of the city.
- Go to the beach: Mombasa is known for its beautiful beaches, and there are many beaches to choose from, including Nyali Beach, Bamburi Beach, and Tiwi Beach. Visitors can sunbathe, swim, and enjoy water sports like snorkeling and diving.
- Visit the Haller Park: Haller Park is a nature reserve located just outside of Mombasa. Visitors can take a guided tour of the park and see a variety of animals such as giraffes, zebras, hippos, and crocodiles.
- Take a dhow cruise: A dhow is a traditional wooden boat, and dhow cruises are a popular way to explore the coastline and see some of the area’s marine life, including dolphins and whales.
- Visit the Mombasa Marine National Park and Reserve: This protected area is home to a variety of marine life, including coral reefs, fish, and sea turtles. Visitors can take a snorkeling or diving tour to see the marine life up close.
- Visit the Mombasa Tusks: The Mombasa Tusks are two large elephant tusks that stand at the entrance of Moi Avenue, symbolizing the city of Mombasa.
- Visit the Akamba Handicraft: The Akamba Handicraft is a center where visitors can see traditional crafts such as woodcarvings, pottery, and beadwork being made and buy them as souvenirs.
- Visit the Mombasa Go-Down Arts Centre: This Arts Centre is a cultural center that hosts exhibitions, performances, and workshops.
- Visit the Bombolulu Workshops and Cultural Centre: The Bombolulu Workshops and Cultural Centre is a vocational training center for people with disabilities, where visitors can see traditional crafts being made and buy them as souvenirs.
- Visit the Mombasa Old Town Walking Tour: Visitors can take a walking tour of the Old Town and learn about the history and culture of the city.
Overall, Mombasa is a city with a rich history and culture, and many things to see and do. Whether you’re interested in history, culture, nature or simply sunbathing and relaxing, there is something for everyone to enjoy.